This is a bit vague.

Which OS? Which tape manager? Which Tape Server?

In general, all of the systems include a process to extract SCRATCH tape
information. From the Tape Managers, they usually include a Report Writer of
some sort get the information. From the Tape Servers, they all do it
differently. And what the Tape Manager thinks are scratches and what the Tape
Server thinks are scratches are generally loosely tied together.

For example, with my product, ATSM z/Appliance, we define a reserved VOLSER to
manage the scratch pool on the tape server. Extracting the list from RMM or
CA-1 or DYNAM-T, writing the list to the reserved VOLSER, then rewind, unload
the tape, causing the code to process the list and associated reporting
commands. The process generates a report that is written to the same tape. The
report includes a list of all tapes, scratch tapes, archived tapes, etc. Using
IEBGENER, on zOS, you can retrieve the report.

Paul Gorlinsky
VP Advanced TS Migrations, Co.
https://www.atsmigrations.com
+1-813-398-CICS (2427)