I've written a Python package [1] to process record oriented MVS data sets. It supports QSAM, BSAM, VSAM (KSDS, ESDS, RRDS), hiperspaces and the file system. I would recommend not using it for the file system as the Python standard library does a better job and supports file tagging. The package API documentation is complete but the tutorial is not. It's a weekend fun project for me so I can only spend limited time on it. I also need to write an IVP and publish my test cases. Python is an enhanced ASCII product so code page conversion is part of the library or needs to be done explicitly. If you are reading binary records that contain EBCDIC data then you can decode the fields using the "decode("cp1047)" [2] or whatever on the string on byte string. To process structured data check out the "struct" package [3].

This library is a thin wrapper over the C/C++ STDIO functions. It's a Python port of the JZOS ZFile class. I have reused the ZFile name in a doff the cap to Kirk and Steve.

[1] https://github.com/daveyc/pyzfile
[2] https://pypi.org/project/ebcdic/
[3] https://docs.python.org/3/library/struct.html