M: PROC (PARAM) OPTIONS (MAIN);
   DECLARE PARAM CHARACTER(100) VARYING;

On 2022-11-20 17:20, Farley, Peter wrote:
It's been quite a long while since I had a finger in any PL1 code, but
I now have a small PL1 side project I need some help with.

I have a question about how to handle not only the "standard" EXEC
PARM of up to 100 bytes, but also how to handle the newer EXEC PARMDD
option which allows up to 32760 bytes of PARM data in a PL1
OPTIONS(MAIN) procedure.

In COBOL the quasi-standard I have been using is this structure in the
LINKAGE section of a main program that expects PARM/PARMDD input:

 LINKAGE SECTION.
     01  PARM-AREA.
         05  PARM-LEN         PIC S9(4) BINARY.
         05  PARM-DATA.
             10 PARM-X          OCCURS 0 TO 32760
                                           DEPENDING ON PARM-LEN
                                           PIC X.

That structure occupies no storage in the COBOL program, and instead
is accessed directly by using the R1 address passed to the COBOL
program by the "EXEC PGM=" process.

How do I define a similar vehicle for PARM data in current releases of
Enterprise PL1 (I have the V5.3.0 version available to me for this
project)?  Is there a way to do it with a CHAR (*) VARYING BASED
variable?  Or have I lost all sense of what is and is not possible in
PL1?

Please be gentle, it has been a very *long* time since I have done any
actual PL1 coding, and a lot of memory cells from that bygone era have
been lost to bit rot.

Any RTFM's or url pointers much appreciated.

Peter