From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Bernd Oppolzer
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2022 5:50 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Origin of the name of sample programs DSNTEP2/4?

Hello Peter,

IMO, the P in the name DSNTEP2 is because it is written in PL/1.
There are some other sample programs like DSNTIAD and DSNTIAUL, which are
written in ASSEMBLER, that's why IMO the 6th letter depends on the programming
language.
DSNTIAUL is heavily used at my customer's site to do unloads of SQL results for
archiving and testcase construction purposes.
BTW, I wrote a replacement for DSNTEP2 and DSNTIAUL, which does the same as the
two programs do and much more, but I wrote it in C. It also runs on the
non-mainframe platforms and there exists a version for Oracle, as well. And
because it also supports Load (not only Unload, like DSNTIAUL), it can be used
to transfer data between all flavors of DB2 and Oracle, on all platforms
:-)
This is great for everyone who wants to do ETL jobs on sites with a mix of DB2
and Oracle databases.
If you want to know more, call me offline.

Kind regards

Bernd

Am 28.11.2022 um 23:37 schrieb Farley, Peter:
> Cross posted to IBM-MAIN.
>
> I asked this question earlier today over on DB2-L (the one run by IDB2UG),
> but it later occurred to me that someone here might also know the answer to
> my question.
>
> Peter

attachments from your system.