Years ago we looked for a tool set for our documentation with the requirements:

- produce decent PDFs and HTML documentation from same source
- text source (preferably XML)
- open source and portable
- NOT Word or anything like it

We ended up using the docbook framework from Apache (DBF), which is a set of
Java/XSLT/Ant tools.   It's not perfect, but it's very good for our needs.

You can see examples at: https://coztoolkit.com/docs/coz/coz_index.html
(open a document in HTML format and then you can also see the pdf icon as well)

Downsides:
- steep learning curve: setup and learning the XML elements

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies, LLC
http://coztoolkit.com
Dovetailed Technologies: +1 636.300.0901

Note: Our website and domain name have changed from dovetail.com to
coztoolkit.com