On Wed, 11 Jan 2023 10:38:09 -0600, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aol.com> wrote:

>how much is concealed behind the seemingly innocuous "formed from".

I would say that nothing is concealed. If you look at the ESA/390 PSW and the
z/Architecture PSW, the transformations are pretty obvious. Most of the bits
are the same. Bit 12 is different. It is 1 for ESA/390 and 0 for
z/Architecture. z/Architecture adds another AMODE bit and extends the
instruction to 64 bits.

>How much compatibility does this provide with pre-z code that manipulates PSWs?

100% compatibility. The 64-bit PSW accepted by LPSW is an ESA/390 PSW.

--
Tom Marchant