Are you doing LMFREE, on the dataid from LMINIT, when you are finished with
each library?
It sounds like you are exceeding resources for LMINITs.

I don't think FREE/CLOSE is needed.  LMINIT and LMFREE are faster, more
reliable and easier to use.

It also sounds like you are not getting the return code back so you can
display zerrsm and zerrlm.  (Unless you did this and I missed it.)  You may
need to issue SIGNAL OFF ERROR, and/or ADDRESS ISPEXEC "CONTROL ERRORS
RETURN".  Otherwise your program won't be able to report what happened.

Please study and understand Lionell's example.  Your outer (library) loop
should include all of those elements.

We still need to see your code as written; I'm just guessing from your
description.  There could be something you are doing that I have not
considered.

OREXXMan
Q: What do you call the residence of the ungulate with the largest antlers?
A: A moose pad.
:-D
Would you rather pass data in move mode (*nix piping) or locate mode
(Pipes) or via disk (JCL)?  Why do you think you rarely see *nix commands
with more than a dozen filters, while Pipelines specifications are commonly
over 100s of stages, and 1000s of stages are not uncommon.
REXX is the new C.