Absolutely!
I fall into the last category now :( - went to tech school for data processing,
RPG and RPG II some COBOL in the 70's
went for my fist job with Chilton Research for a programmers position, I ended
up being one of those folks you don't want to get a call from.
 I left there and was able to get a job with Sears hoping to be a programmer
only to get a job as an operator, but I was provided the opportunity to learn
application level assembler programing, everyone, even my managers and supers
were assembler programmers, it was then I was taught how to shoot a dump, but
my ability was limited in assembler, moving on from Sears to other gigs I had
the opportunity to learn exit routines and update some JES2 MOD's (when IBM
provided source) but most of my job(s), especially working with IBM was as you
said, install, adim and debug system and product issues.
Over time I learned how to design and build sysplex systems along with all the
other  all all the other cool stuff that goes with administering a z/OS SYSPLEX.
most managers now only want us to document (desktop) procedures thinking it's
so easy just for us to document what we do so the next kid can take over, yeah,
I'd like to see that.
sorry for the expanded version of my response.
Carmen