Is there an active SHARE requirement for ANSI Rexx, ooRexx or both?

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Rony G. Flatscher [rony.flatsc...@wu.ac.at]
Sent: Wednesday, March 1, 2023 6:15 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Mainframe REXX (Re: Badmouthing Rexx and ooRexx - again (Re: zOSMF and
zOWE for non-mainframers

On 28.02.2023 20:55, David Crayford wrote:
> I respectfully express my opinion without intending to badmouth anyone. I
> believe that
> benchmarking the performance of reading a large file is not an artificial
> test but rather a
> real-world use case that we encounter regularly. It is no secret that REXX on
> z/OS can be slow. In
> fact, one of my colleagues who worked on the IBM File Manager product, which
> incorporates REXX
> scripting, developed their own subset of REXX because the performance of the
> TSO REXX interpreter
> did not meet their objectives.

If that is the case then it shows that IBM needs to maintain their mainframe
REXX by replacing it
with an up-to-date version of REXX (finally).

ooRexx would be a candidate as extending it with external function packages and
Rexx command
handlers can be done with C++ and Java. ooRexx was developed by IBM and has
been put into
open-source by the Rexx Language [1] association after having received the
source code by IBM for
that purpose.

Besides allowing the REXX coding knowledge to be used/applied immediately, a
lot of benefitial
abilities would become available at a finger tip, including among other things
the ability to
quickly create datastructures (classes) with attributes and routines if needed
and gaining an
incredible flexibility (to ease coding problems) with the incorporated message
paradigm making it a
natural language for any message/queue based infrastructures.

Of course, such a port needs to be done by knowledgeable and professional
people who have no hidden
agenda to make it (or any other interpreted language) look bad, au contraire,
having the motivation
to get the best possible port for mainframes and thereby for REXX programmers
on the mainframe.

As ooRexx is CMake based this should be quite feasible for such a huge computer
company (having so
many excellently skilled employees) like IBM.

---rony

[1] Rexx Language Association (RexxLA):
<https://secure-web.cisco.com/19iB6XFennLVR93zmClbWGzrdq7uKmdmpKM26zmYYFkx1SXKSmNJInPztD75m_c2w6m6Lm91pvcorl1DR0YJ51ueLH2AxAeU7AwhYCk6YeKQXuoR2Hc6JyloTzBcvJEzJrazivTQRt3_kKkU4gk-nmcHz0jkPwdR2-wNNpYiRW8dkF-J59fYB16qqatZM1hbd2JKBwO8xkaYPVfNIswtlruSb_uePofnChxwan22hoL7LYv33sRuzFuhXUITBj24cL3Ww0KZZ3emytmmqxYxXm_QJn9BHnDLoI2BB_JG49JZKpj5-hvyjM6kcdiEiRO_jk9LKPm7VeRyrOlD61rTnzNGxONfFuNhcjdgv_Z99aDhM_MRY7mAJvrAs0s_zl2u_j1wYOzC-jVAmX1KWz9HYV8xGoqU0XxL7pf7apAzG-K7A2OYad114tLXK3NaUHX4p/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.RexxLA.org>