On 25 April 2013 17:59, Frank Swarbrick <frank.swarbr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's still not clear to me the situations when a business programmer would
> want an explicit field to be DFP instead of PD.  Perhaps someone can give a
> good example of such?

If you must deal with very large and very small numbers in the same
calculation it becomes difficult to use fixed point arithmetic.
Cowlishaw's canonical example is that of telephone call billing, where
calls might be priced (and federal/state/local tax calculated) on a
per second basis with tax values to six digits, but a day's or month's
worth of total billing for a city or state could easily be in the
millions. Of course for display purposes these are all eventually
rounded, but that can't be done during the calculation without risk of
losing a lot in the total.

His FAQ at http://speleotrove.com/decimal/decifaq.html has many good
(and a few implausible) examples. That page is mostly geared toward
the need for decimal floating point vs binary floating point, rather
than decimal fixed point, but is still the best reference around.

Tony H.