John,

Naah, it'll be the "z16-mm" short for mini-me.

Rex

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
John McKown
Sent: Friday, March 3, 2023 2:53 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Z15 EOM

Next is z2024-08, if it's GA in August 2024.

On Friday, March 3, 2023, Radoslaw Skorupka <
00000471ebeac275-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
> Well, nomenclature change is the only constant thing.
> We had z900 and z800
> Then we had z990 and z890
> Then we had z9-109 and we expected z8... but they announced z9BC and
renamed z9-109 to z9EC.
> Then we had z10EC and z10BC
> So we expected z11, but we got z196. And z114. They clarified it is 1
> for
first, 96 for # CPs...
> Then EC12. And BC12.
> So next generation was neither EC13 nor z9xxxEC but simply z13. With
> no
EC. Then z13s arrived.
> So next was z14 and we expected... but got z14 ZR1 - why ZR1? Why not
R4:'#$3 ???
> Nevermind z15 arrived. So we were guessing: z15s? z15BC? z15 ZR1? No!
> z15
T02. Obviously big machine was z15 T01.  Well... no. It wasn't quite obvious.
> Now we have z16. Ooops! z16 A01.
> Let me guess the name of small z16: maybe z16 A02? No! No way! It must
> be
something unexpected.

> Fine print: z196 was indeed 96-cp one. 80 for customer and SAPs, and
spares. And z114 has 14 processors: 10 for OS and 2 SAPs and 2 spares. Of
course it is about maximum quantities.

> --
> Radoslaw Skorupka
> Lodz, Poland
>

> W dniu 02.03.2023 o 18:33, Mike Shorkend pisze:
>>
>> I still use the BC/EC nomenclature for lack of a better one.
>> It comes down to the number of CPs you can have. The z15-T01("EC")
>> has up to 190 general processors while the z15-T02("BC") is limited
>> to 6. It
goes
>> back to the number of possible drawers on the CEC.
>>
>> Traditionally, the BC machines have many more sub capacity settings
>> compared with EC. You can dial the processors from A  to Z , so 26
>> different capacity settings per CP.
>> The EC machines have much less granularity
>>

>> On Thu, 2 Mar 2023 at 19:13, Pommier, Rex <rpomm...@sfgmembers.com>
wrote:

>>> IBM dropped the EC/BC nomenclature, much to my chagrin.  I'm
>>> guessing
I'm
>>> not the only one that still refers to the big one as the EC and the
smaller
>>> sibling as the BC, even though IBM doesn't.

Depending

>>> on the configuration the z16 'high end' system, as announced, comes
>>> in
1,
>>> 2, 3 or 4 racks.l!

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format. Thank you.