It's actually much more complex than that.  Here's a little-known story from a place I used to used to work some decades back.  This did not happen on an MVS system, but some other vendor's system with those letters in a different order.  One day that system crashed, I think for no apparent reason.  Rebooting it failed.  Apparently the system disk volume was corrupted.  They restored from a backup.  That backup was corrupted.  They tried backup after backup, going all the way back to the oldest backup they had, 5 months old.  It was corrupted. They had to rebuild the system from scratch.  Apparently a hacker with a lot of patience had gotten them.  They were very tight-lipped about what happened, even to data center staff, but the above leaked out to me.

The takeaway should be just because your backups appear to be successful, unless you regularly test restoring from backups, you really don't know that they're any good.  So even on MVS or z/OS or whatever it might happen to be called tomorrow, TEST THOSE BACKUPS.  Even if they're "read-only".

One of my current employer's customers needed to restore a catalog from backup due to the catalog being broken.  Well, it was broken for much longer than they realized, and all of the backups (4 months worth) were incomplete due to that.  Nobody was looking at the backup job to ensure that it was successful.

At another place I worked in the dim past, the HSM SDSPs were backed up daily via REPRO to tape.  Do I really need to say it? The backups were all truncated due to a key sequence error in the SDSPs, but nobody was looking at the REPRO output.

/Leonard