>> I set up the latter as number=1,len=1

Binyamin,

When you code DINDSNAM, # must be one, LEN is the length of the dsname, and
PARM contains the dsname.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.4.0?topic=dirtu-dsname-specification-key-0002

>>and upon return from dynalloc I see that the length was set to zero, as if
>>nothing could be returned. The requested dataset is a PDSE.

For information retrieval text units, the system uses this field to indicate
the length of the information it is returning, or to indicate that the
information was not available, by setting it to 0.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.4.0?topic=s99tukey-length-s99tulng

Thanks,
Kolusu