> I've found that GIMSMP opens the datasets in UPDATE mode, so the user will
> still need UPDATE or higher access.  READ access fails when the program
> starts.

That is not true for all SMP/E commands.  LIST for example, or the REPORT
commands, and the ISPF Query dialog, definitely open the SMPCSI data sets in
READ mode.  But if you're complaining about APPLY CHECK, then yes, APPLY CHECK
does open the SMPCSI data sets for UPDATE.

Kurt Quackenbush
IBM  |  z/OS SMP/E and z/OSMF Software Management  |  ku...@us.ibm.com

Chuck Norris never uses CHECK when he applies PTFs.