>> Kolusu, this works well when I have records to work with, but if I have no
>> "D" records (sorry for the fat finger earlier...) to count or sum, I would
>> still like to produce a summary. There will be no DEPARTMENT rows, but I
>> would like to have the file name Header1, and a TOTAL line with the 0
>> Articles and 0 Items.

Billy,

There are different ways of getting results.  When the input does NOT have a
"D" record, it will still generate the department row as you are using trailer3
and it will have ZERO count and ZERO total.

Something like this

PROD.A31XAD.IDARTA00
 DEPARTMENT            0 ARTICLES, TOTAL ITEMS:            0
*** TOTAL *** :        0 ARTICLES, TOTAL ITEMS:            0

But if you insist on NOT having the Department record, then we need to do it
slightly different.

PROD.A31XAD.IDARTA00
*** TOTAL *** :        0 ARTICLES, TOTAL ITEMS:            0

What is the preferred output ?  the First one or the second one?

Thanks,
Kolusu
DFSORT Development
IBM Corporation