From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Frank Swarbrick
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2023 10:47 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Language Environment custom messages

At https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.5.0?topic=cm-creating-message-source-file
is documented creating of a "message source file" for custom LE messages.  Is
anyone besides me using this?  I am having an issue with the ":newline" not
seeming to do anything at all, and definitely not what it appears to be
documented as doing.  Specifically "The :newline. tag creates a new message
line that can be used for multiline messages." My observation is that it
neither creates a new message line nor does it insert any control characters
that would represent the beginning of a new line.

Here's an example message configuration:

:msgno.1010
:msgsubid.1
:msgname.AIB-Results
:msgclass.I
:msg.DL/I AIB call, unexpected rtn/rsn
:tab.+1
:ins 1.
:msg./
:ins 2.
:msg. (
:ins 3.
:msg./
:ins 4.
:msg.) for args:
:newline
:ins 5.
:tab.+1
:ins 6.
:tab.+1
:ins 7.
:msg..

This should (to my understanding!) start insert 5 on a new line, but it is not
doing so.  No space, no control character, no nothing between the colon in
"args:" and the value of insert #5.