From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Charles Mills [charl...@mcn.org]
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2023 5:29 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: What is BPXAS and how do I make them stop piling up?

Humor me here. I assume this is basic system programming, but I don't claim to
be a sysprog.

We have a Dallas system. Something in our usage patterns or something has
changed recently to where we end up with spool filled up with BPXAS jobs and we
eventually run out of JQEs which is not a Good Thing.

Can someone tell me what BPXAS is, and more importantly, what to change in the
proc so that the jobs will go away rather than hanging out in spool until I
manually purge them.

When I do an ST I see a bunch of them running, and a whole bunch in Print, but
I don't see them when I do a DA.

Here's a typical example:

09.22.31 STC01149 ---- MONDAY,    10 APR 2023 ----
09.22.31 STC01149  $HASP373 BPXAS    STARTED
09.22.31 STC01149  BPXP024I BPXAS INITIATOR STARTED ON BEHALF OF JOB SSHD4
RUNNING IN ASID 0042
        1 //BPXAS    JOB MSGLEVEL=1
  STC01149
        2 //BPXAS    EXEC BPXAS,GETWORK=BPXPRJSR

XX*-------------------------------------------------------------------- 00050000
        3 XXIEFPROC   EXEC   PGM=IEFIIC,DPRTY=12,PARM=',,&GETWORK,BPXPRJRW'
  00100000

XX********************************************************************/ 00200000
          XX*
*/ 00250000
          XX*01* PROCEDURE NAME : BPXAS
*/ 00300000
          XX*
*/ 00550000
          XX*01* FUNCTION: Used to start the MVS initiator
*/ 00600000
          XX*
*/ 00650000
          XX*01* COMPONENT: SC1B6 (Initiator)
*/ 00700000
          XX*
*/ 00800000
          XX*01* DISTRIBUTION LIBRARY: SYS1.PROCLIB
*/ 00850000

XX********************************************************************/ 01850000
          IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL -
PGM=IEFIIC,DPRTY=12,PARM=',,BPXPRJSR,BPXPRJRW'
 STMT NO. MESSAGE
        2 IEFC001I PROCEDURE BPXAS WAS EXPANDED USING SYSTEM LIBRARY
SYS1.PROCLIB
IEFA111I BPXAS IS USING THE FOLLOWING JOB RELATED SETTINGS:
         SWA=ABOVE,TIOT SIZE=32K,DSENQSHR=DISALLOW,GDGBIAS=JOB

Thanks,
Charles
Not a Systems Programmer