>> What is troubling me is that I have at least one HLQ that is present on both
>>  files with the records separated by the management class, but that HLQ is
>> only present on the summarized by HLQ file that does not have that specific
>> management class. And the INCLUDE that I am using is the same for both cases

Jack,

It is quite difficult to debug the issue without knowing which step is causing
the error.  You have 3 different steps and all of them are using the INCLUDE
cond.  But if I had to take an educated guess it is because the first 2 steps
are summarizing, and you will not have the MGMT class when doing that as you
are ONLY sorting on the HLQ.  Technically you don't need SORT002 step as you
can do it in SORT001 step itself.

So, try this JCL (combined 001 and 002 steps into a single one)

//SORT001  EXEC PGM=SORT
//SYSOUT   DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYMNOUT  DD  SYSOUT=*
//SORTIN   DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=&IHLQ..RMM.TAPE.MASTER.LIST
//HLQ#BRS  DD  DSN=&OHLQ..RMM.TAPE.SPACE.BRS.BY.HLQ.TXT,
//             DISP=(NEW,CATLG),SPACE=(TRK,(1,1),RLSE),
//             RECFM=FB,LRECL=30
//HLQ#LX   DD  DSN=&OHLQ..RMM.TAPE.SPACE.LX.BY.HLQ.TXT,
//             DISP=(NEW,CATLG),SPACE=(TRK,(1,1),RLSE),
//             RECFM=FB,LRECL=30
//SYMNAMES DD *
INP-DSNAME,02,44,CH
INP-CRDATE,47,10,CH
INP-LRDATE,58,10,CH
INP-XPDATE,69,10,CH
INP-FLSIZE,80,10,UFF
INP-K#CHAR,90,01,CH
INP-MGMTCL,92,30,CH
SKIP,1
BRS-HLQ,*,08,CH
SKIP,1
BRS-BYT,*,16,PD
//SYSIN    DD *,SYMBOLS=EXECSYS
  INREC PARSE=(%01=(ABSPOS=2,ENDBEFR=C'.',FIXLEN=8)),
        OVERLAY=(BRS-HLQ:%01,
                 BRS-BYT:INP-FLSIZE,MUL,+4,PD,LENGTH=16)

  SORT FIELDS=(BRS-HLQ,A,
               INP-MGMTCL,A)

     OUTFIL FNAMES=HLQ#BRS,
       INCLUDE=(INP-K#CHAR,EQ,C'K',AND,
                INP-MGMTCL,EQ,C'&MGMT'),
       REMOVECC,
       HEADER1=(01:'    HLQ           BRS TOTAL KB',/,
                01:' --------- -------------------'),
         BUILD=(X,
                BRS-HLQ,
                X,
                BRS-BYT,EDIT=(I.III.III.III.III.IIT))

     OUTFIL FNAMES=HLQ#LX,
       INCLUDE=(INP-K#CHAR,EQ,C'K',AND,
                INP-MGMTCL,NE,C'&MGMT'),
       REMOVECC,
       HEADER1=(01:'    HLQ       NON BRS TOTAL KB',/,
         BUILD=(X,
                BRS-HLQ,
                X,
                BRS-BYT,EDIT=(I.III.III.III.III.IIT))