>> Now let me ask, is there a way to incorporate the Sort extract that creates
>> either or both files into the same step?

Don,

Yes, it could be done using JNF1/JNF2CNTL statements, however we may need to
adjust the IFTHEN statements to use HIT=NEXT.   JNF1 and JNF2 can only process
INREC statements.  So, we may need to move your OUTREC and OUTFIL to INREC
itself.

You have both EQ and NE conditions, which we can club into a single IFTHEN and
adjust it.

Please send me an offline with a sample input files(both) along with DCB
properties of them and the control cards for 2nd file also.  I will try to code
up something. (No promises though)

Thanks,
Kolusu
DFSORT Development