On Tue, 9 May 2023 at 15:12, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

> I believe that the optional source tapes for OS/360 and OS/VS2 3.8 are
> archived (CBTTAPE?), so it should be possible to examine the source code
> for TEST.

MVS 3.8 TSO modules can also conveniently be browsed at
http://www.mainframe.eu/mvs38/asm/TSO%20(IKJ)

The first module of the "assign" pseudo-command is IKJEGPCH. It is called
by IKJEGMNL (the subcommand prompter), which has special code to check for
an a=b type "command".

> I would expect it to be something like
>
>          IKJOPER 'Err label',OPERND1=OP1,RSVWD=OPLIST,OPERND2=OP2
> OP1  IKJTERM 'Err label', ...
> OPLIST   IKJRSVWD 'Err label'
>          IKJNAME '='
> OP2  IKJTERM 'Err label', ...
>
> The = is the operator, not a subcommand. Normally a subcommand begins with
> a subcommand name and you use IKJSCAN to locate the offset to the
> subcommand text; things like assignment statements are special cases.

In IKJEGPCH I see only two IKJPOSITs for the parse. But I'm not sure what
it's working on in the command buffer, since IKJEGMNL has diddled around
with it.

Of course this is the code as of the early 1970s, and so has doubtless
changed quite a lot. On the other hand some of it is probably untouched.

Tony H.