-----Original Message-----
From: robhbrid...@gmail.com <robhbrid...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2023 11:24

I'm looking at a profile in Top Secret with a bunch of permissions to user
HLQs that I suspect are no longer around, some of them at least.  I plan to
write a REXX that'll identify the ones for which there are no datasets, or
only a TSO alias.

I thought to use LISTCAT for that, but I'm running into a problem.  I don't
use LISTCAT all that often, but I thought this would work:

  LISTCAT LEVEL(XXX)

That nets me the same message whether or not an alias is present:

  ENTRY XXX. NOT FOUND+
  ** XXX NOT LISTED
  LASTCC=4
  ** VSAM CATALOG RETURN CODE IS 8

But I want to distinguish whether or not there's an alias.  Ok, so I should
add the ALIAS argument, right?

  LISTCAT LEVEL(XXX) ALIAS

But that gets me the exact same response, whether or not an alias is
present.  What am I missing, here?

And when I test that command on my own ID - I have both a TSO alias and some
datasets - the screen blinks and comes back without giving me any response
at all!  Most strange.  Am I broken?  Is LISTCAT broken?  Surely it's
something basic I've misunderstood about LISTCAT.