Correct me if I am wrong, but my impression is that signing the package
protects (among other things) against the scenario in which one of your
associates, who let us assume is a bad guy, makes a zap-type modification to
the package after you download it and before you install it, thereby
compromising the integrity of your z/OS. Obviously, security for the download
will not protect against that, but package signing will.

Charles