Hi guys and gals, I have an odd one that someone asked and I could not come up with an answer.

In a COBOL program, using a COPY REPLACING directive, I can see the replacement of COBOL procedure statements fine, but when the tag is inside of a literal used for a DISPLAY, it is not replaced.

Is this something that can't be done, or is there some special syntax for it?

For example, my copy member (FRED) has this (plus a lot more):
If sysin-dflt
   Move  Spaces    To  w-in-:CC:-grp
   Move  '*****'   To  w-in-:CC:(1)
   Move  w-set-max To  w-in-:CC:-ct
   Move  'Global Default set for :CC:' To  w-sysin-msg
Else

So if I say
Copy FRED Replacing ==:CC:== By ==COMND==

I get this:
If sysin-dflt
   Move  Spaces    To  w-in-COMND-grp
   Move  '*****'   To  w-in-COMND(1)
   Move  w-set-max To  w-in-COMND-ct
   Move  'Global Default set for :CC:' To  w-sysin-msg
Else

I have looked through the manuals and done my Google diligence, but saw nothing about replacements (or lack of) in Procedure Division literals.

Does anyone have a good answer here? Can my programmer do this or not, and if so, how?

Thank you and best regards,
Billy Ashton