On Tue, 23 May 2023 08:59:58 +0800, David Crayford wrote:

>USS is bi-modal as are the C/C++ compilers. I run everything in USS in
>ASCII mode. All of Rocket and IBMs z/OS UNIX ports are in ASCII.

Is there an ASCII shell (perhaps Rocket bash?) in which I can readily, from
desktop ssh:
    518 $ printf '\141\142\143\012'
    abc
    519 $

Can it smoothly invoke all the OMVS utilities needed for POSIX compliance?

Long ago I wanted to port a couple FOSS programs in "enhanced ASCKK".

I gave up on Lynx because there's ASCII Curses library.

I gave up on xterm because there's no ASCII X11 library.

>Not just I/O bandwidth. One of the real differentiators is that Z can
>run at 100%. There is an excellent blog by Bob Rogers which explains how
>this achieved.
>
>https://blog.share.org/Article/how-does-ibm-z-achieve-efficiency-at-exceedingly-high-utilization-rates

Even earlier, a soi-disant sysadmin tried tuning our 370 clone running MVS 3.8
(IIRC).  He beamed triumphantly when when he got CPU to nearly 100% and
SIO high.  As end user I found TSO response had become dismal.  He outranked
me; I didn't complain.

Using high CPU utilization as a performance criterion is akin using high weight
as a criterion in aircraft design.

--
gil