From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Bob
Bridges [robhbrid...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2023 4:43 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Are you serious about wanting a better IBM doc RCF-type process?

Yes!  I've heard a lot of complaints about IBM documentation being confusing,
and I know it's impossible to make EVERYTHING clear.  But one thing I've said
over and over again for decades:  I may have to search the manuals for a long
time to find what I'm looking for, but I can be pretty confident that the
information is in there somewhere!  Not so with other products.

Not that the competing documentation is ~all~ crap.  But no one matches IBM in
this regard.

---

A quick story.  (Well, maybe not so quick.)  An insurance company got mad at CA
and decided to dump all CA products and replace them with others: Control-M,
Zeke/Zebb/Zara and so forth.  They hired me to figure out what security rules
existed for the CA products and what matching rules would be required for the
new ones.

This involved a lot of talking on the phone to tech support at the various
publishers.  Usually my question(s) would be pushed up to tier 2 and 3 before
garnering an answer, and in the interim my original contact would sometimes
disappear, having left the company or moved to another area; then I'd have to
start over.

At one point, while talking to a tier-3 guy about the new tape-management
system, I got tired of explaining my questions to him and wrote out a
pseudocode decision table, showing all the possible combinations and how each
one was to be addressed: Non-numeric tape VOLSERs, foreign tapes, unnamed DSs,
DSs with special dates, I don't know what-all (it was almost 30 years ago).  At
 four places in the pseudocode I inserted questions:  "On p37 the documentation
says this, but on 105 it says this."  "Here the documentation says this, but
what the heck does that mean?"  "I see no place in the documentation that
explains how to handle this combination of factors."  There must be, I
reasoned, some guy at the company who had helped write the product and could
answer those four questions.

Great, said my tier-3 contact, this is what I need to get you your answers.  He
hung up, and disappeared.  I never heard from him again.  I had to start over
again.

A month later I had new tier-3 guy, and brought up the same question:  Surely
you have some kind of decision table that explains how each situation is
handled?  (It seemed so obvious that there should be something like that.)
Yeah, he said, I've seen something like that around here.  I'll find a copy and
send it to you.

Some of you know where this is going.  When the "decision table" arrived, it
was a photocopy of mine; same printer (I think it was a DECWriter), same order,
same four questions (none answered).

---

/* If ye make indentures with God how much ye will serve Him, ye shall find ye
have signed both of them yourself.  -Thomas More */