From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Bob
Bridges [robhbrid...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2023 9:04 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Mainframe help now available!

Regarding your first paragraph: To be fair to the "Human Resources" moniker,
the point when it first became chic was to remind the Personnel department that
people, too, are important to the organization.  We don't abuse computers or
desks, we don't waste pens or typewriter ribbons, we ought to treat the human
beings too as valuable.

Regarding your second: A change in terminology doesn't by itself fix an
underlying problem.  "HR" became the new word for "Personnel", but a company,
to survive, still has to spend as little as possible and produce as much as
possible.  And the centralized HR folks can never understand your value as well
as your boss can...even if your boss can't.

---

/* [Infant Sophie is] exploring her environment, as her brain learns to perform
the incredibly complex set of functions we call human thought ("Maybe THIS will
fit into my mouth! Maybe THIS will fit into my mouth! Maybe THIS will...").
-Dave Barry, 2000-09-17 */