The normal generalised  TLS flow is....

   1. Client sends stuff to the server initiating the handshake.
   2. Server sends stuff to the client, and can include the server's
   certificate.
   3. Client can be configured to check the server's certificate.  Eg check
   the signer's CA is in the clients store.  Check the IP address from the
   server, matches the IP address within the certificate(SAN)
   4. Server can send down "Client  must send certificate"
   5. Client sends its certificate. (or picks the best one (if it has more
   than one)  depending on what the server sent down)
   6. Server must have the CA used to sign the client's certificate etc It
   does all of the checking

If the certificates which are  being sent up and down are self signed, then
the other end needs a copy of the same certificate, so it can compare them.
If the certificates are signed by a CA, then having the same CA at each end
should be ok.
Colin