On 5/2/2013 4:08 PM, Charles Mills wrote:
Yeah, I suppose it might say just plain In = 25.7KB, but, as we say,
"the program doesn't work that way." (Also, due to other constraints
it MUST appear in a "string" format message, not in tabular form like
most mainframe reports.)

This reminds me of G format in ForTran, although that accepts only reals. But I don't recall if they had a special name for it.

And yes, I am doing it "with my own code" -- there is no built-in
support in the language I am using (C++).

It may be easier to write the code than to arrive at a name for it <g>. And you never mentioned whether you want truncation, rounding, banker's rounding, or ?

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, Vermont