A GDS can be a PDSE2. However, there is no way to specify in JCL a combination
of relative generation, member name and member generation.

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2023 9:51 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How batch create a PDSE2 with Generations?

I believe I recall correctly that a GDG may contain a PDS.

May it contain a PDSE Version 2?

So you could have member generations within PDSE generations?

Whee!!!

A PDS version within a GDG would be DSN=PDS.NAME(-n) . I am going to guess
there is no JCL syntax for a member (never mind member generations!) within a
back-generation PDS(E). I think that perhaps overloading the
datasetname(qualifier) JCL syntax was a bad idea.

Charles