Rex,

at this link you'll find an interesting thread:
https://groups.google.com/g/bit.listserv.ibm-main/c/B04G-HasOd4
As somebody (who is at least 30K light years beyond me) probably the right
way is to use TIMEUSED macro.
It depends on how much you need to rely the info.

I recently wrote an assembler interface to do the needed using the new
instructions (without too many checks to be honest).
It seems the new way (ECT=YES) invocation costs very less than before.

Best regards.
Max