From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Phil Smith III
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2023 19:47
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Does FileZilla Support FIPS 140-2? to IBM's SFTP Server (OpenSSH)?

Mark Regan wrote:
>Does FileZilla support a FIPS 140-2 connection to IBM's SFTP Server (OpenSSH)?

I don't think that quite makes sense, Mark. There is no "FIPS connection". A
given cryptographic module is or is not FIPS certified. So a more meaningful
question might be, "Does FileZilla have FIPS 140-2 (now 140-3, btw)
certification, and if so, at what level?" The same would apply to IBM SFTP.

Note that FIPS certification is quite weird, in that it can apply to specific
pieces of a solution, like "the code that does the actual crypto", but not
necessarily to the whole solution. Also note that most companies don't run
anything in FIPS mode, because it typically results in a crippled product,
where you can't do the things you actually need to do. An example might be that
if FileZilla has FIPS certification, that doesn't mean anything if the other
end of the connection is not also FIPS certified.

FIPS certification typically costs well over $100K, so I'd be surprised if
FileZilla had it. OpenSSL has FIPS versions, but barely, and only because it's
so widely used, I expect.