Long ago and far away I helped an IBM customer set up his new 148 VS1
machine to use CICS. At that time it had the macro interface, but as an
assembly programmer that was good for me.  3270s were very new at the time
and controlling the screen appearance was important. The customer was an
Electric company (in a very different cultural environment) and we rather
quickly started production use, initially to simply display customer data.

Some early mistakes: The IBM marketing people were very much unfamiliar with
display terminals and thought that 3270-1 was a good start. I managed to
change that immediately! (Who remembers the 3270-1?).

We (myself (as an IBM SE) and the customer (both technical and management))
were very happy with how quickly the system became useful. IIRC (which is
more difficult at my age) we were the first "real" virtual memory customer
in that part of the world. We had about a dozen terminals on the system and
had no response problems with the terminals or with batch jobs. CICS, at
least in those days, seemed very efficient.

Being young and stupid, I liked VS1.

Bill Ogden