On Sun, Jul 30, 2023 at 6:51 PM Andrew Rowley <and...@blackhillsoftware.com>
wrote:

> On 30/07/2023 2:28 am, Jon Perryman wrote:
> > ASK YOURSELF: Name the z/OS Unix feature that sort of fixes the
> fundamental design flaw with Unix filesystems just described?
> >
> > I suspect most people won't think about each user having a unique
> filesystem using automount to make their filesystem available. Typical Unix
> uses one file system with all users having directories in the /user
> directory.
>
> An automounted filesystem per user has always been a terrible idea. I
> think it was given as an example of how you could use automount and
> somehow morphed into a recommendation. (Other OSes can e.g. use
> automount to mount a remote user filesystem via NFS).
>
> Reasons it's a bad idea:
>
> 1) Freespace in the filesystem is not shared between users. This means
> that you need much more space than if there was one pool of freespace
> shared between all.

Whatever.  We use automount, and the "space" wasted is way too trivial to
worry about.  And HSM can magically free up home filesystem zfs files that
aren't used any more.

> 2) It makes simple questions like e.g. "Which users have a
> .ssh/authorized_keys file?" much harder to answer.

gil answered that one... if you really have a good reason to go poking
around in users' business.

> A filesystem per user is basically equivalent to a SMS storage group and
> catalog per user. You get isolation between users, but at the expense of
> much more difficult management.

Now that you mention it, a catalog per user sounds like a great idea.  I
suppose it's the nature of our business, but we badly damage catalogs more
often than I'd care to admit.  We have a few expert Catalog Surgeons*, but
the downtime and their time are an expense.

The only issue I see is how that might affect CAS.

*If my company would license Catalog Recovery+, we would only need to be
Catalog Nurse Practitioners.