From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of Bob
Bridges
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2023 10:55 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: z/OS users

If we're limiting the count to on-line in-house users - I'm talking about TSO,
CICS etc - I suspect State Farm might have a thousand users logged on at a time
(that's a massive system) but a few hundred is more usual in the companies I've
worked
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd

If we're limiting the count to on-line in-house users - I'm talking about

TSO, CICS etc - I suspect State Farm might have a thousand users logged on

at a time (that's a massive system) but a few hundred is more usual in the

companies I've worked for.  Currently I have an insurance company as my main

client; in-house there are about 220 managers who review access, with let's

guess an average of five mainframe reports each.  They also have about 400

independent agents that use a system that ultimately connects them to the

mainframe, and each of those may have one or two assistants with their own

IDs.  That's probably typical for an insurance company.  I couldn't guess

about how many might be logged on at once.  Oh, sure I could, but it's just

a guess:  If there are 2000 mainframe IDs, maybe 500 at a time?  Purest

guess.

But we've also been talking about banks and their ATMs.  Do we count ATM

customers in the number for Bank of America, with their branches around the

country?  That could run to thousands at one time, don't you think?

---

Bob Bridges, robhbrid...@gmail.com<mailto:robhbrid...@gmail.com>, cell 336
382-7313

/* It is often stated that of all the theories proposed in this century, the

silliest is quantum theory.  In fact, some say that the only thing that

quantum theory has going for it is that it is unquestionably correct.  -from

"Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku */