> On Monday, August 14, 2023 at 03:36:47 PM PDT, Andrew Rowley
 > <and...@blackhillsoftware.com> wrote:

> where the storage admin has to be involved, but what is a reasonable value?

This is z/OS with SYSPROGS, not Unix with sysadmins where programmers have full
control to define reasonable. You keep asking the wrong question. Who (not
what) determines reasonable. Right or wrong, it is their job, not yours. If you
can't give up control of sysprog duties, then z/OS is not the OS for you.

 On 14/08/2023 3:30 pm, Jon Perryman wrote:
>  > On Monday, August 7, 2023 at 04:33:24 PM PDT, Andrew Rowley
><and...@blackhillsoftware.com> wrote:
>> It comes back to the question I asked earlier - how much space is it
>> reasonable to use *to do your job* before you have to get the storage
>> admin involved?
> Since you put it that way, I've got to say are you insane. The storage admin
> based his decision on things called facts. He is responsible for storage and
> his decision is final until his management tells him otherwise. I suggest you
> inform your company CEO that all decisions must go through you.

That was a question, not a decision.

We all use space on the system, whether it be personal JCL libraries,
sort work space, job output etc.

If your manager says "Can you investigate this CICS problem from
yesterday" and you want to analyze the SMF data, at what point do you
need to ask the storage admin for space for sort work, data files etc?

100MB? 1GB? 100GB?

I recognize that there has to be a limit where the storage admin has to
be involved, but what is a reasonable value? Should it be different for
a unix temporary file than for a sort work dataset?

Maybe I decide the best way to investigate this problem is to generate
JSON from the data and load it into Splunk. Is the disk space available?
Or should I just download the CICS SMF data to the PC and process it there?

Spool space, sort work space, user datasets - that space all comes from
pools and when you delete the data the space is returned for use by
other users. For some reason we set up a system for unix files where
free space isn't automatically returned, and cannot be used by other
users. This makes things unnecessarily difficult on the mainframe.

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software