From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2023 1:38 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How can a REXX data stack pass information from a program?

On Tue, 15 Aug 2023 17:48:39 +0000, Schmitt, Michael wrote:
>What I'm trying to do is pass an 8 character field from a COBOL program to a
>calling exec. The constraints are:
I.e. almost anything that's likely to work.  Why?
>    ..., so the parm is one-way, and would have no way to pass back the
> address. Nor will it work to try to pass back an address from the COBOL
> program in a return code; it will get truncated.

PARM is two-way for many languages.  Does COBOL prohibit that?  TSO REXX
supports
two-way as the caller, not as the subroutine.

Does CCOBOL provide access to the R1 value om entry?  That could work with
some creative pointer chasing.

>(I suppose one option is to call the COBOL program multiple times, passing
>back the data as a return code one or two bytes a time, but if it came to that
>I have a better last-resort work-around.)

You're desperate.  How about POSIX pipes (BPX1PIP, BPX4PIP)?

--
gil