> On 23 Aug 2023, at 10:45 pm, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:
>
> It's a start, but I would love the opportunity to fork out $ for a full
> clone. Not that I have any objections to using free software when it suits my
> needs, but I won't ignore a useful program just because it's not open source.
> Take Tritus SPF (TSPF), but not while I'm still breathing; it was money well
> spent.

I find this interesting as one of my ex-colleagues was the same. He used SPF/PC
and the Tachyon assembler. When SPF/PC became obsolete he tried to move to
Slickedit which has an ISPF emulation mode. It was painful watching him code as
line commands are really inefficient but his muscle memory was such that he
just couldn’t change. Flip side of the coin is that one of my esteemed
colleagues switched from ISPF to Slickedit and it was a success. He just bit
the bullet and learned a new editor. I’ve done this several times to great
effect. He even presented the experience to our team. Another example is the
architect of the product I’m working on. Long term mainframe guy, ex-IBM DE and
general great guy who never wants to stop learning. He taught himself how to
use VS Code, markdown and Git so he could contribute to our open source
documentation [1]. You are never too old to learn new things. And you should,
because they are generally much better.

[1] https://z-open-data.github.io/instana-topics/