On 5/8/2013 11:53 AM, Mark Jacobs wrote:
While there's no hard and fast rule, i.e. nothing prevents you from generating
any return code from your programs, it's a tradition that return codes are a
multiple of 4.

0 - Normal
4- Warning
8 - Error
12 - Severe Error
16 - Terminal Error

Which historically allowed you to handle return codes by
using a branch table, if you invoked the service from an
Assembler program.

Mark Jacobs
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Ron
Thomas [ron5...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 1:45 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Return codes

Hi ,

Can some one let me know why the return code generated is a mutilple of 4? e.g
4,8,12,16

Thanks,
Ron T

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-355-2752
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
  + Training your people is an excellent investment

* Try our tool for calculating your Return On Investment
    for training dollars at
  http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html