Hi Jon,
Another misspeak ...
You said: " ...You never see a PTF that is 1MB. ..."
I've seen PTFs that are a lot bigger than 1 Mb.

Regards,
David

On 2023-08-25 21:55, Jon Perryman wrote:
On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 11:57:33 AM PDT, Steve Thompson
<ste...@wkyr.net> wrote:
With Linux distros there are a few maint systems. The one I am
most familiar with is RPM.
Linux (nor Unix) does NOT have any maint systems. P in RPM stands for Package
which is the z/OS equivalent of product / component. Complete packages are
replaced regardless of the problems you want to fix. Every package has a
version number which is indentifies all the maintenance included in that
package.

To me YAST (the Linux equivalent of SMP/E) handles upgrades
YAST and SMP/e have nothing in common. YAST tells you it's about installation
and configuration. It's about replacing the entire package and nothing to do
with maintaining that package. The M in SMP/e stands for Maintenance. You never
see a PTF that is 1MB. The only reason SMP/e installs, is to create a
maintenance environment for the product / component. If installation is your
only requirement, then use a different tool like IEBCOPY, DFDSS or ???.

Each product/component has its own main entry and dependencies.
Unix dependencies are by version number and have nothing to do with the package
(product/component) in question. The package is completely replaced. SMP/e
dependencies can be for entities within the same function, other functions,
PTFs and APARs. A function is the SMP/e equivalent of a Unix package.

I thought it was a fairly good replacement for SMP/E for the
Linux side of things.
I can see how it could be used to do z/OS and related.....
YAST, RPM and other Unix package installers are unacceptable replacements for
SMP/e. Name 1 z/OS customer that is willing to risk reinstalling an entire
product/component because they need 1 PTF. Add to that cascading product
installs because of dependencies. Worse than that, testing must include
everything that changed in those installs and every product/component that
interacts with all the installed products/components.

I think z/OS uptime is 99.9999%. You get what you pay for. Unix maint
philosophy may be acceptable on $10,000 computers but highly unacceptable on
multi-million $ computers. We don't tolerate unintentional downtime.