I do not have any experience with "cloud" mainframe per se. I do have experience with CaaS (Compiling as a Service). Contact me off line if you want into on that.

I do have experience with outsourced mainframes having worked for ACS when they were in the biz.

Per that experience, I predict that the initial costs will be wonderful and about 5 years out the costs will be above what was expected with a consideration of migrating back to in house (prem).  Just based on how things went with ACS and some of its competitors where we had entities come in and go out.

Steve Thompson