LINK and SYMLINK are for alternate names.

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Phil Smith III <li...@akphs.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2023 1:04 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: SMP/E and USS

Consider this from an SMPMCS:

++HFS(dddddddd)    DISTLIB(lllllll)

                   SYSLIB(sssssss)

                   BINARY

                   LINK('lib/libdddddddd.a')

                   PARM(PATHMODE(0,6,4,4))

                   RELFILE(5) .

That creates, in the directory specified on the DDDEF for sssssss, file
dddddddd; and in the lib\ directory under that, libdddddddd.a.

These files are identical. I don't need the dddddddd for linking etc.; do I
need it for later service or something? If it's not required, why did SMP/E
leave it there?

Reading the doc found very little about this. It's not a huge deal, just kinda
ugly, UNLESS it's required for some reason.  Yes, I could us SHSCRIPT to run a
script to delete it, but that seems unlikely to be necessary just to remove
cruft.