What would it take for IBM to Open Source the Windows and Linux version of PL/I and PL/X?

Why?  To potentially make the Internet faster and safer.  How?

We know that C searches for a byte with a binary zero to find how long a string is.  This takes time. And then it take time to copy a string elsewhere, especially if it is done a byte at a time (often true, depending on the C compiler - some do a word at a time).

PL/I, Pascal and even Assembler know how long a string is.  They don't have to waste cycle looking for the length of a string. Most of the time, they know how long the receiving string is, and won't go past the end, as C will.

IBM still has the "authority" to do this.  And it morally should.

Just do it, IBM.  Help save the planet.

Clem Clarke

Wayne Bickerdike wrote:
So many acronyms.
I've Been Married
I've Been Moved
It's Better Manual
I Broke Microcode

etc..

On Mon, Oct 2, 2023 at 4:17 AM David Spiegel <