On Mon, 9 Oct 2023 10:40:11 -0400, Joseph Reichman <reichman...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I would like to issue an IPCS subcommand (in an exit)
>
>IP CBF RTCT
>
>2. The STACK service and the TSO/E EXEC command can be used to queue
>subcommands and CLISTs, respectively, to be processed by IPCS immediately
>after completion of the current subcommand

IPCS exits have access to a small subset of IPCS commands through IPCS exit
services. If I remember correctly, CBFORMAT is one of those services which
gives you access to IP CBFORMAT. It should be documented in the IPCS
Customization.

An important IPCS exit service is NOTE which should be used to display lines.
Using non-IPCS macros may appear to work, they are not compatible with all
environments. For instance, WTO will display the line on the TSO terminal but
in batch but will not display in the ISPF IPCS dialog.

You should avoid exec and "STACK service" (which I believe is "TSO/e STACK
service"). If you are familiar with REXX, think about the problems in using
push/pull to communicate.

My suggestion is to REXX execs. When an IPCS exit is needed, then use the IPCS
equate service to pass information back to the REXX exec which will use IP
LISTSYM to grab the information. It still processes after the command finishes
but without the TSO stack pitfalls.It also allows you to issue commands not
supported by exit services and you SYSOUTTRAP output generated by IPCS commands
(If I remember correctly).