My apologies, I didn't mean to stir up the hornet's nest of opinions on the
viability of my question.

I will "grossly" explain what I want to do.
I am not interested in other methods, I have other methods, but I am
interested in this method the most, if it can be done.

Program A executes and sets a global symbol to a certain value and
terminates.
Many other jobs execute and, in each one, as needed, the programs check to
see if the global symbol is set and, if it is, to what value.
They then make logic path decisions within the program based on the value
of the global symbol.
Finally, Program B runs, or maybe it's just Program A again, and the global
symbol is deleted.

So, my question is, still, is it possible to define SET symbols from within
a program?

Thanks, again, in advance for any *constructive* assistance.
Chuck