To answer  Seymour J. Metz's question first, it's specified in the DCB.

To answer Charles Mills' question, the module is defined as RMODE 24, AMODE
ANY, so the I/O was issued in 31-bit mode.

Which now rings a bell, I, too, vaguely remember that SYNAD is called in
the A-Mode of the code issuing the I/O.

So, does this mean IBM has an issue in that they aren't clearing the flags
from the DCB address when they load it for passing to the SYNAD exit, or is
it my responsibility to clear the high byte before trying to use the DCB
address in the low 3?

C-