Just as an aside, the default EBCDIC to ASCIIi translation table in FTP has issues with some special characters. We used CONVXLAT against TCPIP.SEZATCPX(EUS) to create one that works for the texts we have, Then in the FTP control statements, used LOCSITE SBDataconn= to specify use of the created translation table for the transfer.

Michael

At 03:42 PM 12/22/2023, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:23:31 -0500, Bob Bridges wrote:

>Just to be pedantic, aren't ~all~ characters hex characters?

I think the only hex characters are 0-9 and A-F.

> ... That is, they can be expressed in hex. I suppose (but I'm not sure) that "non-hex character" is intended to mean a character that can be expressed directly, eg a space can be expressed as '40'x or as ' '. Whereas a tab character in EBCDIC needs to show up as '05'x; there's no way to insert it into my data with the <Tab> character.

It's easy if you use the right editor.

--
gil