On Fri, 29 Dec 2023 11:36:38 -0600, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Dec 2023 11:13:18 -0600, Jon Perryman  wrote:

>>REXX function SYSDSN( ) will determine if a dataset exists without the
>>overhead of LISTDSI.
>>
>Does it report allocated status as the OP requested?

The OP had 2 requests. I believe BPXWDYN INFO only tells you about allocated
datasets. It does not tell you if a dataset exists which is solved by using
SYSDSN( ). You could BPXWDYN ALLOC to determine if it exists but SYSDSN( )
would be a better solution.

>in
><https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/3.1.0?topic=functions-using-sysdsn-function>
>i see:
>PROTECTED DATASET
>UNAVAILABLE DATASET

These are documented at https://www.ibm.com/docs/sr/zos/2.1.0?topic=tef-sysdsn

Protected dataset requires member name be specified and means you don't have
SAF access to the dataset.

Unavailable dataset means someone has exclusive enq for the dataset.