From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Lennie Dymoke-Bradshaw
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2024 12:49 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: allowed characters in member name

Radoslaw,
From memory, this is simply the ALPHANUMNAT set. Alphabetic chars (upper case),
Numerics and the national chars (#$@). First char may not be numeric.
Lennie

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Radoslaw Skorupka
Sent: 05 January 2024 17:18
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: allowed characters in member name

(This is somehow Friday question, but at least on topic. :-)  )

What characters are allowed in JCL when specifying member name?
I mean constructs like the following:
//ANY DD DSN=HLQ.DATASET(MEMBER)

Note, it is not about PDS/PDSE itself and I have seen SMPSCDS member names (as
well as PDSMAN generated), but I mean JCL-acceptable names, which are also
supported by ISPF (I think so).

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland