> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu>
> Subject: Re: What is the PDS command?
> Date: January 4, 2024 at 6:22:39 AM CST
> To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
>
> Paper?! For, e.g., SYSABEND, SYSUDUMP, on SPOOL you can at least do a search
> for, e.g., eyecatchers, key addresses. On paper a large dump is unmanageable.
>
> When you're swamped is precisely when you need good tools. Not having PDS86
> is bad; not having IPCS is intolerable.
>
> --
> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
> http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3
> עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
> נֵ֣צַח יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל לֹ֥א יְשַׁקֵּ֖ר
> Seymour:

Needless to say we had a lot of politics gong during this time. We hated VSAM
as ti was a mess. Europe didn’t want it either. I was the repository for
standalone dumps. We had a MSS but I have long forgotten the model number but
IIRC it was a medium-to-large MSS. The two sysprogs that were dedicated to it
were swamped with work. I disliked VSAM (this w before ICF) and we ended up
with sam volume ownership and the MSS people were at wits end with it. I still
remember taking a call from IBM (all our MSS people were taking a day off) I
started to talk with the guy and they wanted me to zap the MSVI(?) I knew a
little about it after talking with the MSS people. I zapped it and everything
started to work (again) The following day I told the MSS people what I had done
(since they weren’t around).  Because of the MSS and enque issues we must have
taken at least 40 dumps and shipped them off to boulder (IIRC). IBM ended uo
rewriting ENQUE and another component(allocation). We were lucky as we had a
great IBM team and we had a couple leave IBM -Chicago and go out either West to
the JES3 (we were Jes2 and did not understand that at all) Others went to GBURG
and one went to the dasd in (CA?). Without them we would have truly been in a
world of hurt). I think they have all retired by now.
Ed