If the issuer of ESTAE(X) was system key (0-7), the SDWA is obtained from
subpool 230 (high private, not subject to the region limit).
For user  key, the SDWA is obtained from subpool 0 (low private, subject to the
region limit), so R0=12 is more likely for this case,
Especially if the abend being handled is due to region exhaustion.

  There is no 1M between 2047M and 2048M, since both of those values are
considerably higher than what could ever be available,
after you subtract the 16M that is below 16M, and whatever is the size of
ENUC+ELPA+ECSA+ESQA.

  No limits are bypassed, and currently, nothing is reserved.  I have been
recently working on implementing on an idea I had 20 years ago to maintain
a minimum area between the current top of low private and the current bottom of
high private, so that low private cannot go into this area,
and if high private intrudes more than halfway into this area, VSM initiates a
cancel of the job.  That would help to reduce 40D-10 abnormal memterms
when RTM2 can't get storage below 16M for the IHARMPL, and reduce situations
where we can't obtain an SDWA for a system key ESTAE(X).

  It would also help with the situation that Seymour Metz mentions now and
then, that anyone can easily memterm an initiator
by running a simple program that SYNCHes to itself infinitely  (since that will
exhaust private storage below 16M with PRBs).

 For example,  this is what happens currently:

CMN JOB00022  IEF403I SYNCHSLF - STARTED - TIME=03.15.45
 CMN           IEA045I AN SVC DUMP HAS STARTED AT TIME=03.15.49 DATE=01/31/2024

 FOR ASID (0028)

 ERROR ID = SEQ00019 CPU00 ASID0028 TIME03.15.49.8

 QUIESCE = YES

 CMN JOB00022  IEA794I SVC DUMP HAS CAPTURED:

 DUMPID=002 REQUESTED BY JOB (SYNCHSLF)

 DUMP TITLE=COMPID=SC1CJ,COMPON=CONTENTS SUPERVISOR,ISSUER=CSVFR

            R,878-0000000C IN IGVVSERR+0F82.

 INSUFFICIENT RESOURCES FOR OPTIMIZE=YES PROCESSING

 CMN           IEA045I AN SVC DUMP HAS STARTED AT TIME=03.15.50 DATE=01/31/2024

 FOR ASID (0028)

 ERROR ID = SEQ00019 CPU00 ASID0028 TIME03.15.49.8

 QUIESCE = NO

*CMN          *IEA911E COMPLETE DUMP ON SYS1.DUMP30

*DUMPID=002 REQUESTED BY JOB (SYNCHSLF)

*FOR ASID (0028)

*INCIDENT TOKEN: UTCPLXHD CMN      01/31/2024 03:15:49

* ERROR ID = SEQ00019 CPU00 ASID0028 TIME03.15.49.8

*ID = SC1CJ:878-0000000C IN IGVVSERR+0F82.

 CMN JOB00022  IEA794I SVC DUMP HAS CAPTURED:

 DUMPID=003 REQUESTED BY JOB (SYNCHSLF)

 DUMP TITLE=ABEND=40D,RC=10,COMPON=RTM2,COMPID=SCRTM,ISSUER=IEAV

            TRT2,MEMTERM - UNRECOVERABLE ABEND FAILURE

 INSUFFICIENT RESOURCES FOR OPTIMIZE=YES PROCESSING

 CMN           IEF402I INIT     FAILED IN ADDRESS SPACE 0028

         SYSTEM ABEND S40D - REASON CODE 10

 CMN           IEF402I SYNCHSLF FAILED IN ADDRESS SPACE 0028

         SYSTEM ABEND S40D - REASON CODE 10

*CMN          *IEA911E COMPLETE DUMP ON SYS1.DUMP31

*DUMPID=003 REQUESTED BY JOB (SYNCHSLF)

*FOR ASID (0028)

*INCIDENT TOKEN: UTCPLXHD CMN      01/31/2024 03:15:50

 CMN JOB00022  $HASP310 SYNCHSLF TERMINATED AT END OF MEMORY

 CMN STC00004  $HASP310 INIT     TERMINATED AT END OF MEMORY

 CMN STC00023  IEF403I INIT - STARTED - TIME=03.15.56

  But with a minimum area of 50K below 16M, and 1M above 16M,

CMN JOB00024  IEF403I SYNCHSLF - STARTED - TIME=03.19.21
CMN JOB00024  IEF450I SYNCHSLF SYNCHSLF - ABEND=S822 U0000 REASON=00000004
        TIME=03.19.26
CMN JOB00024  IEF404I SYNCHSLF - ENDED - TIME=03.19.26                    .

So maybe that will get into the next release after z/OS 3.1.

Jim Mulder